Sir Chetput Pattabhiraman Ramaswami Iyer, (1879 – 1966), popularly known as Sir C. P., was an Indian lawyer, administrator and politician who served as the Advocate-General of Madras Presidency from 1920 to 1923, Law member of the Executive council of the Governor of Madras from 1923 to 1928, Law member of the Executive Council of the Viceroy of India from 1931 to 1936 and the Diwan of Travancore from 1936 to 1947. During his tenure, many social and administrative reforms were made such as mid day meal for poor students and temple entry for the Dalits.
Sir C.P was a resident of Ooty from 1917 when he acquire Delisle bungalow. He was involved with the Theosophist movement from the beginning and was closely associated with Dr. Annie Besant.
Sir C.P., as member of the Madras Governor’s Executive Council in 1923-28 for irrigation and electricity, not only implemented pioneering projects including the Mettur and Pykara dams but also was the first to moot interlinking of rivers including the Ganga-Cauvery canal. He piloted the Pykara scheme in the face of much opposition from politicians, public and engineering experts. The success of the scheme paved the way for the rapid industrialization of the Coimbatore district, turning it to a Lancashire of the East.
After Independence, Sir C.P. divided his time between London, Madras and Ooty. He invariably spent the summer months in Ooty giving lectures and lending his support to local issues. He took active interest in the Nilgiri Library.
Sir C.P passed away in London though he had expressed his desire in private to pass his final days in Ooty.
Nilgiri Documentation Centre